2002 was a big year for me, not only did I move house and get married but a broken ankle led to a big career change!A couple of days after our wedding I fell on a sunken paving slab and broke my ankle. My leg was in a plaster cast for six weeks, following which I had physio for a further eight weeks. Finally I was able to return to work at the end of November but when I got back I felt like it was all too much. After an incredibly stressful week and lots of discussion with my husband I decided to hand my notice in. And so 2003 began and, for the first time in my life, I was unemployed. I had absolutely no idea what to do, until a friend of mine mentioned she undertook work for a local transcription company.
I’d always loved audio typing (as it was known when I first started work back in the early ‘90s) although I hadn’t done any for a number of years. I contacted the transcription company and they leant me a machine so I could get started. It didn’t take long for my unused skills to return and I really enjoyed it.
A few months later my neighbour told me about a firm of local surveyors who she’d been assisting while their secretary was on long term sick leave, but due to other commitments she wasn’t able to do it for much longer. And so I gained my first client! Originally I went to their office so I could also cover the phone and answer emails, but after a while they were happy to allow me to work from home.
As the year went on I gained several more clients and, not only did I really enjoy working for myself, I was earning much more than I had when I was employed.
Of course, these days almost all transcription work is digital which means I’m able to provide transcription services to clients wherever they may be.
Bridie Jenner established Bridie’s Typing Services in 2003 and offers business audio transcription services to clients in Australia and the UK.
If you liked this article, please share it on Facebook, StumbleUpon or Twitter. I’d appreciate it. :)
I wish I could script a similar story!! ;)
ReplyDeletePreferably without the broken bone bit though - I wouldn't recommend that!!!
ReplyDelete@Bridie
ReplyDeleteOf course, without that!
Hello Dude,
ReplyDeleteTranscription services are required in almost every area of the business spectrum. The need to put into text, the spoken word, automatically creates demand for business transcription companies that specialize in this type of work. Thanks a lot for sharing with us...