Tuesday, 9 November 2010

Transcription training: Is it necessary?

Is training or doing a course in transcription necessary?  This is one of the most common questions asked by people interested in finding a transcription job.

It's a valid question.

The honest answer is: it depends on the niche you choose.


If you want to be a general transcriber you do not need training or do a transcription course.  But, if you want to work in a more specialised niche like medical, it would certainly help - even there I personally don't think it's necessary.

However, I think it's invaluable to get some kind of teaching so that the first half of the learning curve is quickly shortened.  And, I also happen to think that to inculcate the best practices and best methods of transcribing, the transcription company should invest in the education of novice and freshers.

An orientation in transcription should be a priority.  Also basic grammar and punctuation should be taught.  Proofreading techniques, editing techniques, typing skills, and communications skills should be imparted to new employees during their probation/orientation period.

Transcription companies would do well to have at least a month's orientation program.  The main goal of such program should be to transform the new employee into well-rounded transcriber, ready to provide transcription services and give his best from day one.

If you liked this article, please share it on Facebook, StumbleUpon or Twitter. I’d appreciate it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment